Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It was quite white

I made the trek out to the barn this morning to feed the horses and alpacas and was surprised to see that the inside of my barn is almost as snow packed as it is outside.The horses were soaked, especially Annie, as she is already beginning to shed her winter coat and chills quickly. Fortunately, the sun was shining and already warming them up.

Nadia and Scout are looking for breakfast. See the hole my beaver horse, Nadia chewed just below her eye? Bad Horse!

I turned Skyy loose for a romp in the snow this morning. She loves running through the snow, the deeper, the better. She likes to jump right into the biggest drifts she can find.

This deep snow was along the fence by the barn. 
It's too bad I cut her in half but I like the shadow of her head.

She sure does like the deep snow!

 It was a crazy commute today. I think every semi truck in New Mexico was on the freeway heading east this morning. I passed miles of standing traffic going in the opposite direction from me because, fortunately, I go west and north in the AM and south and east in the PM. With the snow packed roads sanded red, I could have believed I was on a dirt road instead of the freeway, bumping along on the uneven terrain for the 20 miles into town before the snow and ice finally disappeared onto smooth wet roads. 

Here's a photo of the Sandia Mountains, taken on my way to work this morning, long after I left the snowy canyon road behind.

I did have a panicky moment soon after I left my house when I came up to a truck parallel across the two lane highway pulling out a ditched car on the steep hill leading down to a stop sign. As I applied my brakes, I skidded some and worried that I might be joining the car in the ditch. Since there were no other cars on the road, I backed up the hill to a side road and drove through 8 inches of snow, taking the long way around to the access road. I considered just turning around and going home but I knew that the roads would get better soon enough, if I could only get to the freeway. That's the good thing about the snows we are getting now. The snow melts really quickly instead of freezing like it does in January and December.


It was quite white- song: Remembering Marie A. artist: David Bowie, album: Baal

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Skyy is so cute, I love split face markings. I can't believe all the snow you're getting this winter. Sure makes things pretty though.

Horse-pet-products.com said...

Please check out www.horse-pet-products.com and follow our blog at horse-pet-products-blog.blogspot.com . We are a company made by and for horse lovers like you trying to make a diffrence. We offer a great horse shampoo as well as dog and cat shampoo that we use on our own animals. Try us for your horse and domestic animal care needs.

Dan and Betty said...

Good pictures. Our Sheltie hated the snow.

Dan

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's pretty and the dogs look like they're having fun. I never like to drive in it, I'd rather stay home and look at the scenery.

Achieve1dream said...

Wow, you're braver than I am to drive in that!!

Skyy is so cute!! I love the shadow head too. :) And the horses peeking over their stalls. I love all of your animals lol.