Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

I hope all you "mothers" had a fantastic Mother's Day! I have had a very busy, exciting, and tiring Mother's Day week which I will post about soon. Meanwhile...



Happy Mudder's Day!
Funny, I never dreamed I would be making mud pies at my age!
Buildings and walls in the southwestern United States are often made of adobe which has to be refinished every so often. Refinishing adobe surfaces is easy. All you have to do is add a fresh coating of mud to the exising adobe bricks.

A few weeks ago, there was a mud party at one of our local historic churches, San Ysidro, in Corrales. Lisa and her daughter were going and asked me if I wanted to come along. Absolutely!
Once a year the church society has a work weekend. This year they were working on the church floor, the gardens, and the little walls surrounding the church. We arrived just in time for lunch. (great planning, huh?) After we ate, we offered our services. Since we were women, they offered the job of weeding the gardens. Uh, no, thanks! We told them that we wanted to get "dirty" and do some mudwork. This child was evidence of the "mudding" they had been doing earlier.So, they showed us the basics for mortaring an adobe wall and we went to work. Here's Jenna testing the water...umm...mud".Here, Lisa is showing the fine art of smoothing the mud over the adobe bricks.The three of us worked on one wall section all by ourselves. We really expected someone to come along and redo our work but they said, "No, that's the real thing!"

Even though it was hard work, we had a great time! My left arm was especially tired afterwards from holding the palette of mud. lol.


Not too bad for a first effort, huh?



No comments: