Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'll paint you mornings of gold

A few weeks ago, I decided to take Sandy for a hike along the Bosque (woods) of the Rio Grande River. I threw a blanket on the leather back seat in my car (so that her nails wouldn't poke holes) and put her in. I was glad to find that she was very well behaved in the car. Doesn't she look happy?
I parked Lola in the parking lot at the top of the hill and we walked down towards the river and under the bridge to the bosque trails. 
There were lots of tracks to follow in the sand under the bridge
and graffiti too.
I though pyc was particularly talented.
 

 In the beginning, it was hard to get Sandy to walk because she wanted to smell everything. I wondered if she could smell porcupines because I knew they live down here.
 After a few minutes of pulling, she settled down and walked along nicely.
The fall colors of the cottonwoods made a beautiful trail. This is a view of the Rio Grande river.
We walked to a sand bar in the river but when we went through the brush Sandy got covered in fat round burrs. She was very good when I pulled them out of her coat and I was thankful for her wirey hair. The burrs  came right out without getting snagged and tangled in her thick fur.

The ponds were especially pretty.


I liked how the tree trunks were so dark against the yellows and browns of the turning leaves. I think they look like ballet dancers with their arms in the air.

This young tree was particularly pretty with all it's golden leaves.
I'm not sure what kind of vine this was but it was really impressive. We don't see much red in our woods in the autumn.
It was a beautiful day as you can see by the bright blue sky. I was sad not to find any porcupines in the trees but also glad because I didn't want Sandy to go after any and seek revenge.
However, oddly enough, we saw this creature along our walk. The zoo grounds are just across the street. I did, of course, zoom in.

I think Sandy enjoyed the walk but boy was she glad to get back in the car again to go home. I was very pleased how well she walked along with me after the initial pulling and smelling she did. She walked right at my hip and never pulled even though we passed lots of other people, some with dogs, and some on bicycles.

I'll Paint you Mornings of Gold - song: As the World Falls Down, artist: David Bowie, album: Labyrinth

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a good dog Sandy is. You are lucky she found you! The red vine looks like poison ivy to me. We get a climbing variety here that does that.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That place is beautiful. Even the graffiti is beautiful.

Dan and Betty said...

Very, very nice. I love your pictures. The reds are nice, but I love the different shades of gold in our fall. The other nice thing is because our weather is pretty stable in the fall the leaves stay on the trees longer. When we lived in Ohio the fall colors would be beautiful but you were lucky if they lasted a week.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looks like a beautiful walk in the Bosque. A dog and a hike just seem to go together perfectly.

~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sidney, I guess it's a good thing I didn't touch it then.

Yeah, I'm very happy to have Sandy.

Tammy Vasa said...

Your pictures are fantastic, Val! I like the one where the trees form a circle. Sandy sounds like she is fitting in well.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow, beautiful scenery. What a lovely walk. Surprised to see the elephant, I always feel sorry for animals in the zoos. Glad you didn't discover any porcupines.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Actually, we have a very nice zoo. All the animals have large natural enclosures. The angle of this photo and the fact that the elephant was at the back of his pen makes him look so jailed. I do wish the animals were free though. I especially feel sorry for the apes. They are our cousins, after all.

Rising Rainbow said...

Sandy was a very good dog. I can tell you Delilah and Sugar wouldn't do so well. My arms would be stretched.

Achieve1dream said...

Sandy is such a treasure. You were lucky to find her. :) And she you.

Gorgeous pictures!!!! I can't believe how beautiful your fall colors are. It makes mine look drab lol.

The Wades said...

Sandy like Annie's dog?

Gorgeous day!!