Sunday, October 23, 2011

Live in a Fever, Raging inside of Me

I went out to visit the horses this afternoon. I've been concerned that Yalla! seems to be spending a lot of time in the barn. She usually roams around looking for things to see and do.

When I approached her, I saw why. She has Corynebacteria Pseudo tuberculosis, or pigeon fever, dryland strangles, or pigeon breast, as it is also commonly called. (Click on the previous two links for more information). She has a huge swelling in her lower chest area, one higher up, towards her neck, and possibly one on the left side of her neck. She is lethargic and finds walking very uncomfortable. Annie, her mother, has come down with this at least two times over the years. Both times, her swellings were lanced and drained, numerous times, to release the pus that forms the swellings. It is supposed to be a highly infectious ailment but only Annie has had it. It is nearly impossible to quarantine Yalla!, especially since flies are purported to be the carriers. This ailment is more prevalent in the dry southwest  region and always seems to occur (in my barn, anyway) during October.

This is the topping on the cake for me. I had a brake job done on both the front and rear axles on the Hyundai last week to the sweet tune of almost $600. I had the plumber out two weekends ago for $500, repairing a leaky water heater faucet and an outdoor faucet. (I still have a leak in the barn and must keep the water turned off unless I am using it.) Last month, I had tires put on the Hyundai and the month before that the Subaru needed tires and a front brake job. And now...Yalla!

I thought about calling the vet but after doing research and thinking about Annie's episodes, I decided to wait until morning. Oh yeah, when I went to start my truck, it wouldn't. For three weeks now, I have been trying to get my oldest son out here to look at it (he's a whiz at fixing cars) and he's just too busy. I've called friends and mechanics but I couldn't get anyone to take a look at it. It starts, just won't turn over. My daughter's boyfriend finally came over and took a look and we decided that it might be the fuel filter or pump, after trying to hit the restart button. Who knew there was one? Anyway, we've been to Auto Zone twice now and I've got my fingers crossed it will work. I really need to get it running so that I can
  1. Take Yalla! to the vet in the morning to find out what to do for her.
  2. Go get some wood
  3. Go get some hay
  4. Take stuff to the dump
The vet will probably lance the abcesses (if they're ready) and give antibiotics. I believe it will run it's course if left untreated too, however, there is a risk of internal abcesses and peritonitis from ruptured abcesses getting infected. What should I do?

Pigeon fever is like a PITA ailment but it can also be life threatening, in rare circumstances. Does anyone else have any more information for me?

Live in a Fever, Raging inside of Me - song: Fascination, artist: David Bowie, album: Young Americans


Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Bummer. I don't know anything about this ailment so I don't have anything to offer but our best wishes.


Shirley said...

After reading your link, if you can't get her to the vet right away, you could start treatment by doing the hot compresses to bring the abscess to a head; then when it is soft and ready to pop take her to the vet then, and have it lanced and cleaned - but definitely phone the vet.

fernvalley01 said...

Sorry I don't have additional advise . Presuming it is like strangles , same things apply , if all goes well you can manage syptoms and let it run its course , but if there is an internal abcess...
Good luck , sorry to read all this is going on

KarenTX said...

Hey, I just messaged a friend of mine, Paul, he's had to deal with pigeon fever before and may have some ideas for you. I asked him to come by and leave a comment if he could.

Reddunappy said...

We had PF here 2 years ago. It came North with a horse from California.
It does not sound fun at all, I hope she recovers quickly. I would deffinatly talk to the vet,maybe they will just sell you the antibiotics without a farm call?? but I wouldnt haul her there! Again the flies, it is suposed to spread very very easily! I Dont have experience with it myself. I was so scared that mine would get it when it was here locally. Lisas mare shares the fenceline, warn her about it too, although her mare is older and may still have a strong immune system against it. But safer not to haul anywhere until the incubation period is over after Yalla heals, and all of them clear the incubation period.
So sorry you have to go through this!!!!

Jeni said...

OH no!!! When it rains it pours doesn't it. I hope she heals fast.

Kate said...

That's one I (fortunately) have no experience with - probably a good idea to get her to the vet.

Cheyenne said...

This sounds really awful! I know nothing about it, it sounds similar to Strangles.

Good luck and God Bless.

achieve1dream said...

Eeek! I know nothing about it at all. I really hope it isn't serious. Please keep us updated.

Sorry about all of the money. It always happens that way for me. One thing leads to another and another and another. It sounds like you've had a lot going on, so hopefully it's done for a while.