Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swallow

The swallows are back!

Swallows have been coming to my barn every year since it was built and the first pair came and built their nest. Now, the babies of the babies come back. Last year I counted at least three dozen flying around until they finally settled into their nesting arrangements. I usually have about six working nests in my barn all summer. Earlier this week, I saw a few pairs and yesterday, I counted about a dozen birds. You can just make out some nests in the rafters. They love to use the horsehair for linings in their nests.
I love hearing their chatter as they court and set up housekeeping in the barn rafters. See here for more information on barn swallows.

Here is a visiting mourning dove. The little dark spots behind him are all sparrows feeding on the ground. The white blurs are flying birds.
I believe these are common sparrows. My current grass hay has lots of seeds that the birds love to eat.



Swallow - song: Fame, artist: David Bowie, album: Young Americans


6 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

Swallows are so cute! Love when the birds fly in and just enrich the area! Do you have many types?

Dan and Betty said...

That's so cool. That's the main problem with our stable - it's finished inside so there's no place for nests.

Dan

Andrea said...

Girl, I stand outside my front door every morning fighting off those birds. They can live in my barn, but they are not going to build a nest on my front porch. We had one there two years ago, and it was a mess!!

You got some great shots of them!! They look so sweet and innocent! Do yours dive bomb your head?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your barn is bird party central!

I didn't see any sign of the swallows in our barn on Monday, but I do hope our couple return again...and their babies, too.

~Lisa

CTG Ponies said...

I love having the birds in the barn. They really keep the insects down. The bats are huge insect eaters too.

The Wades said...

Nice of you to share your space with the feathered friends. I bet the horses enjoy their music.