Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Could fly over mountains

Last weekend my sister-in-law and I drove my younger son, Trevor, to the Boy Scout camp for his summer job. Both he and Ross, my eldest son, are working there again this year. We brought Buddha with us since I expected it to be a loooooong day.

We drove past this village.
Here is the Native American spelling. This was on an overpass of the freeway. Neat, huh?
We drove through this town. I like the two doves/heart sign.
We drove past tall mountains.
Some mountains still have snow. My son will be leading hikes up there in a week. Let's hope the snow melts quickly.
At last, we saw the sign for camp!We drove past some very interesting rock formations along the way. Doesn't that one on the left look like a giraffe head?
Here is the staff camp where my two boys will be living for the summer. The center tarp is more or less a community area. Each staffer gets a tent to themselves.
We managed to pack a lot into my Lola: mattresses, backpack, pillows, bedrolls, etc.
Here is my son's new living quarters.
Staffers were still checking into camp so we decided to go for a tour. "Wanna come along?"
Here is part of the main hall.
Boy, was it hot! Did I mention that it was about 97 degrees?
All I could do for Buddha was give him water out of the bottle cap or from my cupped hand. He managed very well drinking from the little bottle cap.

I love this many limbed tree!
I was really happy to see that people were able to pet Buddha. He was scared but he didn't bark or bite and was even a little bit friendly. He certainly looks scary here but his tail is up. That is a good sign. It means he's happy.

Here is the climbing wall that my older son, Ross, will teach at. Boy, is it tall! He will also take small groups off site to do real rock climbing. Here is the backside of the climbing wall.
The boys took us around to see the COPE course.
They climb these things, with harnesses on, of course!
This is called the Confidence Box. Each person climbs up to the top and stands on the box. Then they jump off. Of course, they are harnessed in and attached by a rope. They are supposed to grab those two things on the wire as they jump. Trevor says it took him about 15-20 minutes to do. One boy took almost an hour. Ross did it in about 3 minutes.
Here's Ross and I in his equipment room. It was so nice and cool in there!
He is very concerned with his responsibilities and duty. After all, he has the lives of other people on his hands, quite literally, sometimes.
Too soon, we had to say goodbye and go home. The road down and out was very scenic.
Here are some more interesting rock formations. They look like mesas (tables).

And here are still more rock formations. I love the dramatic cliffs we have.
The grasses were pretty. They have gone to seed and appear as blond waves.Gosh, it's been just a couple of days now and I already miss my boys so much!


Could fly over mountains - song: Absolute Beginners, artist: David Bowie, album: Absolute Beginners soundtrack

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a neat place you live in.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That sounds like a great camp. My son wants to go to pole vaulting camp up at Lake Tahoe again this summer. My daughter is in Beijing teaching English for the summer. I really worry having her in a foreign country, but she does know enough Mandarin to get by and this is what she wants to do. Thank you for your words of encouragement in you latest comment.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful scenery ! What a gorgeous area

Dan and Betty said...

Good for your sons. Having been a Scoutmaster for 8 years, I can relate to everything, including the COPE course which I love. It's great they each get their own tent. That's really nice.

Dan