Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Il Mio West

Saturday was my day for Wildlife West Nature Park, a wildlife preserve just down the road a half dozen or so miles from my house. I went to the Horse Fair and Blacksmithing competition in the daytime and then I went to the Chuckwagon supper later that night with my sister in law and her boyfriend. First, we got to ride in a tractor driven haywagon to the pavilion. Yeehaw!!There was a short lecture on hawks. I missed most of the talk but the smaller one is Peruvian, I believe.We had a bar-b-que dinner with brisket and chicken, beans, baked potato, roll, applesauce, and a cookie. I have to confess that I ate practically all of it since I didn't eat much during the day.FYI, I asked for half a potato. ;)

Next, there was a puppet show. My SIL's boyfriend called it a commercial. lol. They did pass the hats around for a collection towards the park animals' upkeep. As you can see in the background, the sun was setting.
The entertainment for the night was a great local band called Syd Masters and the Swing Riders They play "Vintage Cowboy Western Swing". One of their songs, Under New Mexico Skies, is New Mexico's official Cowboy song. I like their song called the Galisteo Highway. Here's a video I found of them performing a fun version of Riders in the Sky which they did for us too. The lead singer comes from Wisconsin originally, so he incorporates yodeling in his singing.
The audience was really having a great time, even the little ones.
On the way out of the park, we saw a deer right next to the sidewalk. It was too dark for a decent photo though. The weather was perfect and the dinner was fun. What a great end to a super day.


Il Mio West - movie: Il Mio West starring David Bowie

3 comments:

Dan and Betty said...

That sounds like a good day and evening. Betty and I hope to make the chuckwagon dinner this summer.

Dan

Rising Rainbow said...

That looks like a great time. It would be cool to see hawks up close and personal like that.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've always meant to do this. Was it worth it? Maybe we'll get to do this before this summer is over.
We have a membership for Wildlife West and just enjoy visiting the critters for a couple hours sometimes. The raptors are my favorite. Jenna loves the javalinas of course. And Jax and Jem like the mountain lions.

We placed 3 letterboxes there last year. You should have looked for them while you were attending those events last weekend. The stamps inside those boxes are some of my favorite carvings. :)

~Lisa