Thursday, April 14, 2011

Go down to the gods

I have been SOOOOOO busy in recent weeks! Went to my mom's house two weekends in a row to fix her car and deliver a refrigerator to her, a three and a half hour trip each way. 

Then last weekend, I drove up to Denver with my daughter to see a concert- Arcade Fire! It so rocked. I have had their songs in my head ever since. If anyone doesn't know who they are- they won Best Album at the Grammies this year. The crazy thing about this concert is that they're playing in Santa Fe on Monday, an hour from my house. But, it's a very small venue and I couldn't get tickets. So I did the next best thing- bought tickets to a venue 450 miles away!

Saturday night, when we parked on the street near the venue, we asked the people parking in front of us if this was the right place. They said they didn't really know. They were from out of town. My daughter asked where they came from. Guess what they said? Albuquerque! Why? Because they couldn't get tickets to Santa Fe! How many people come down to Albuquerque from Denver for concerts, I wonder? ZERO!!!! I'm sure! I've gone up to Denver to see the Rolling Stones, Blondie and The Cars, and others.  If we don't go to Denver, we go to Phoenix. ABQ has a terrible concert schedule- all the good bands drive right through without even stopping or waving hi.

Anyway- before the concert, I got worried about it living up to my expectations and whether my daughter would appreciate it. I shouldn't have worried. It was fantastic- one of the BEST concerts I've ever been to. We got there early and, although we couldn't get Floor tickets, sold out, we got Seats right down front in the Stands. The opening band, Local Natives, out of Los Angeles, was thrilled to be playing with them and came out to watch, standing right below us during TAF's entire set. I really got a kick out of seeing one of the band members pan the crowd with his cell phone camera to show how many people were there. lol.

There are eight members in Arcade Fire and they switch instruments after every song. There are two violin players, two drummers, guitars, a cello, keyboards, and even an accordian on some songs. The singers are a husband and wife who alternate lead vocals on the songs and when Regine is not singing, she is dancing. And sometimes, she dances while she sings. She looks like a pixie princess.

But enough, if you get the chance- go see them! And, if you have an extra ticket, I'm coming.

Before the concert, we went sightseeing around Colorado Springs, as evidenced by the Balanced Rock photos for the Sunday Stills challenge. I even got my letterboxing journal stamped by the Rangers in the Garden of the Gods gift shop. Try saying that fast. Since I never can find the planted stamps, I have to get them where I can. ;) Anyway, here's a few more photos of the Garden of the Gods area:


You can just make out the Kissing Camels at the top left of the next photo, in about about 1/4 of the way. There's an archway kind of thing. Look closely. Otherwise, it looks like a Tiki God or something laying down, doesn't it?

As we entered the parking lot for the gift shop, we came across a herd of deer. They walked across the parking lot down the way from us, one and two at a time.

I managed to get a great close up of this young one.
We saw many, many people walking, running and biking in Colorado.

I got a kick out of this- a person went splat here!

These strange rock formations are in the Garden of the Gods. My camera setting got tweaked, making this photo kind of surreal.

We came across the Balanced Rock area just as we were discussing blitzing through the rest of the G of the G. Way cool! We had to stop and look around.



 And take pictures!



We thought these rocks were way cool.
 We had to go down inside. It kind of reminded me of the movie, 127 Hours, where the slot canyon rock climber cuts his own arm off with a pocket knife to free himself from a rock that waited millions of  years to fall on him.

Aron Ralston said" You know, I've been thinking. Everything is... just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all this. This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute I was born, every breath that I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface.

If you haven't seen that movie- do! I highly recommend it. Only, I couldn't watch the parts where he cuts himself.

This tree was clinging to life. Amazing!
It was pretty solid too.


Go down to the gods - song: Width of a Circle, artist: David Bowie, album: The Man Who Sold the World

9 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

What a busy and fun gal you are.I have to admit I found it odd that you sdaid so casually that you drove to Denver for a concert! But I have to remember to wrap my mind around US Geography!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fabulous photos! I especially like the ones of you and Sheila posing together.
John and I last went to that Garden of the Gods about 18 years ago. I'd love to take our kids to visit one day.
I've not seen the movie about Aron Ralston, but I have read his book...twice! It enthralled me, shocked me, and inspired me. It's amazing what one will do to survive if put into a life or death situation.

~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

FV- It IS crazy to drive that far for a concert but you do what you gotta do. I'm going next month to see U2 with my sister-in-law. I bought tickets last year and then they postponed the tour because Bono hurt his back. Thankfully, it's rescheduled for a Saturday again. And, although it's so far, it's a mini vacation for me.

Lisa- I need to read that book. He reminds me so much of the "Into the Wild" guy; only Alex didn't survive. It's a young men syndrome of thinking they're invincible when they do extreme things. But, you know, the first 15 minutes of the movie is pure adrenalin and euphoria with spectacular scenery. It shows what a rush you get doing those things; only Aron and Alex suffered the consequences.

Dan and Betty said...

I have to admit there is no group or person I would drive to Denver to see, but that's just me. I love the Garden of the Gods. Our youngest sons wifes parents live just North of the Springs across from the Air Force Academy so we spend a lot of time in the Springs.

Great pictures.

Dan

Rising Rainbow said...

You have determination. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't drive that far for a concert. Of course, I rarely drive to Seattle for a concert and it's only an hour away. LOL

Such amazing country. I just can't get over all the beautiful places you photograph.

Tammy Vasa said...

What fun! So glad Sheila went with you. Your pictures are beautiful, as always.

Jessie said...

Oh, I absolutely love hiking around in the Garden of the Gods! Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back there right now! :)

GreyWolf said...

Hope you and Scout mend soon.

Ed said...

Beautiful shots, glad ya had fun..:-)