Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Stills (People 7/17/11)

Today's Sunday Stills challenge is to photograph groups of people.

Since I was up in Portland, Oregon last weekend for my nephew's wedding and managed to go to the beach the day before, I decided to share some of those photos (like the Friday Foto crabs). We didn't have much time so my brother drove down the beach (at about 40 miles per hour!).
Many Oregonians were out on the beach that day enjoying the sunlight and ~sort of~ warm weather. Notice the little person in the hole, hiding from us as we passed by. I think he might be halfway to China, don't you?

 Here's something I've always wanted to do- ride horses on the beach.  
 Isn't the last rider just too precious? Her pony is a mini me of her Dad's horse. lol.
Here's a couple enjoying some solitude.
Much of the coastline was void of people,

 but there's nothing like an old shipwreck to draw the crowds.
 
A few people were flying kites
parasurfing
and harnessing the wind power for their dune buggies.

Lots of people were enjoying the sunshine at a nearby lake too.

For more Sunday Stills, please visit here.

11 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What an interesting place. I was driving through Portland years ago, but never stopped at the beaches. The shipwreck probably made for some good shade.

cheyenne jones said...

Brilliant stuff!.......Loved it!

Mary said...

You were right in my back yard! (sort of) I am about an hour and a half drive away. You actually got to experience a fairly rare sunny day at the beach. More times than not, it's pretty foggy and cool. Usually when it's hot in the valley it's quite cool at the beach. It can be a nice retreat from the heat. Really nice photos, you really captured the Pacific NW coast in all it's glory.

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. We visited in that area in 1991 and it's a beautiful place. We got to ride horses on a Florida beach years ago and it was a lot of fun.

Dan

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love the beaches and ocean, it's where I grew up and I never live far from some sort of water. Anyway, that little mini me is adorable and love the shipwreck too. Great photos as usual.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

looks like a fun place. I like the old ship photos.

http://picturesbybrenda.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Terrific shots. I miss being close to a beach. When we lived in Houston we were only 50 miles from the water. I love the ocean. :)

Ed said...

Excellent shots, the Oregon coast is one fun place to visit..:-)

Oregon Equestrian said...

I haven't been to the coast in ages. I can practically smell the salt water, kelp strands, and soggy driftwood. Thanks for the quick trip to the beach!!

gtyyup said...

You had some gorgeous weather on the coast that day!! I used to live at Seaside for a couple of years...too much rain! But, I haven't ridden on the beach for years, and really want to again...maybe if the fuel goes down some day. Great shots for the challenge!!

Achieve1dream said...

Regarding your question about Faran, we haven't tried to ride him yet. We don't know anything about his history except that he was a logger. We know that the woman who had him sent him to training for thirty days under saddle but she doesn't think that the guy actually rode him more than a couple of times because he was terrified of him. He was used to two year old Quarter horses that he could manhandle and he couldn't do that with Faran. Besides as skittish as he is we don't think he's ready so we're treating him like an untouched baby who hasn't had any foundation work. :) It takes a lot of time, but it's safer and kinder to Faran.