Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm home, lost my job

My company has been having financial woes since the startup of two spin off companies in the past year so I was laid off today. They gave me two weeks notice and asked me to continue working until today. I thought long and hard about my future and decided maybe it was a good thing. After all, I probably would never quit on my own and the stress has been killing me.
I've been there six years.

Earlier this year I signed up for an Algebra class. I hated it and dropped it. Well, since the layoff was coming, I went and talked to a guidance counselor. We decided it might be best to go full time to school for a while and then look for work in the fall, if my money can hold out. I only need seven more classes for an associate's degree in pre-management. I was able to sign up for two classes which really surprised me since it's almost mid-term. Now I have full days scheduled on Monday and Wednesday. Maybe I can find a part time job evenings or Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The only thing that's constant in life is change.

I'm home, lost my job
song: DJ (David Bowie)
album: Lodger


3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh no! I was reading your posts, oldest to newest, through an RSS feed and when I read that you purchased a car, I cringed. Any time that the economy is bad and my husband makes a big purchase, we lose our jobs immediately afterwards.

You have a good attitude about it. I usually feel relieved when I'm laid off, because it means I can rest for a while. However, once the money starts running out, the stress of not having a job is much greater than the stress of having one. Please take any job you can get as soon as you can get it. Expect the worst, and you'll survive this in good shape.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Thanks NM for the support, I paid for the new "green" cars already. My daughter took a loan out and will pay me back for the Saturn and I put the Accent on my 2nd mortgage. I am seriously considering selling my Infiniti FX45. I still owe on that and I don't want to have to come up with a monthly payment, although I LOVE the car!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well, you know how I feel, and like you, feel that as long as you've got some monetary padding to carry you through, you really should consider this to be fate, and take advantage of this lapse of unemployment as the opportunity to make some new and positive changes in your life.

I'm sure it's a little scary, though. I'd surely have knots in the pit of my stomach, but I'm very proud of your positive attitude with an eye to the future.

Now let's see, you've got Mon(full day), Tues, Wed(full day), Thurs evenings full with school and part time work...so that leaves Tues, Thurs mornings, and all day Friday and Saturday for riding!!
(I'm a little selfish, eh?)

We've got a nice warm Indian Summer right now. Let's get out and enjoy it, before that white stuff fals again :)

~Hugs for you~
Lisa