Thursday, October 16, 2008

Over the bushland, over the trees

This past weekend my son and I decided to take my newest car out for a road trip. (One week ago, I bought a used 2004 Hyundai Accent with automatic transmission and 51K miles.) My son has been learning to drive but doesn't want to learn with my Infiniti FX45. I don't really want him driving it either! All the other cars are manual transmission and, as a beginner driver, he really needs to concentrate on driving more than shifting. So, when I bought the Accent he was very excited. He wants to drive it all the time. We call her Sally because she has a salvage title. She was in an accident and the insurance company totalled her. However, the same guys we got the Saturn from fixed her up for us and she looks almost new. Engine is working fine, no body damage anymore, and the frame is good.


We decided to go north, so we loaded the dogs and a few odds and ends. Here's Gunnar on the back seat with Daisy's head behind him. Daisy is looking out the back window (sort of).

Here's Buddha on the floor. He likes to sit on my lap but for some reason he wanted down between my legs. He sure curls up into a little ball, doesn't he?

We stopped at Dixon's Apple Ranch hoping to get a bag of delicious champagne apples. Alas, they were sold out! We drove past Santa Fe, Pecos and Las Vegas. Here's Storrie Lake outside of Las Vegas...New Mexico, that is! The photos are bad but the water is always varying shades of turquoise and really pretty.

It was a beautiful autumn day even though it threatened to rain a few times

We passed several old buildings


and pretty, little churches
Since we couldn't get apples, we decided to get some raspberries at Salman Ranch. We shared a scrumptious raspberry sundae!

Salman Ranch is next to the old mill at La Cueva. Click on photo for close up of sign.


We drove past Victory Ranch where there are lots and lots of alpacas.

We drove through Mora which is an old village with one main street.

I do like this mural on the weaving center building, Tapetes de Lana. Never been in it though. One day I'd like to stop and see what's inside.


After almost four hours we finally arrived at our destination. I have a cabin in Sierra Bonita where my mom lives. She has a house down by the river. You can't see it in this photo but her house is in the top left section in the trees. Also, the very first photo of this post is showing my car in front of her house. This is Coyote Creek.

My cabin is at the top of the mountain in tall, old pines.


Here's the kitchen, complete with microwave and stove. The refrigerator is on the other side with the kitchen table.
Here is the living room with a lovely stone fireplace and huge picture window (not shown)
This is a view of the high ceilings in the living room and the propane wall heaters (one old and one new).This is the master bedroom. There is an electric blanket on the bed for cold nights. :)


This is the second bedroom. That single brass bed actually came from a hotel in Colorado in the 1800's.

I have always loved my "little cabin in the mountains" even though it has no running water. We have a dvd player, books, games and a phonograph. There's always fishing and hikes to explore the roads and woods. We are only seventeen miles from Angelfire for winter skiing.

In the past, I have seen bears, bobcat, wild turkeys, and a wolf. Mountain lion tracks have been found in the nearby meadow. We have a little bat that comes every summer. He sleeps under the wooden window covers when we are not there. When we lift the boards he flies away. The neat thing is that we can see him from the inside of the cabin through the glass before we remove the window covers. e looks like a winged, leathery mouse.

It's so peaceful in the tall trees, although I do worry about forest fires. Wild strawberries grow in the summer along with pretty wildflowers. I have spent many wonderful weekends, in all seasons, there.

We had a great weekend visiting my mom and then staying the night at the cabin. It was so cold in the morning though! 30 degrees outside and only 60 inside. I really cranked up the heater for a while. Then we went down the mountain and had breakfast with my mom. We stayed with her awhile; then it was time to head home.

I noticed gas has actually dropped below $3 a gallon! When I checked the mpg for the trip we averaged 38 mpg! Not bad, considering we went up and down mountains and did 75 on the freeway.

I think we're going to really like Sally!

Over the bushland, over the trees- song: African Night Flight (David Bowie) album: Lodger


6 comments:

KylieM said...

What a fantastic weekend, and your photo journal is fantastic, it is lovely to see your journey. I am sooo jealous of your cabin! Great run for your little car, I am sure you son is going to love driving it around. I am not looking forward to when my oldest son starts driving, not for another 6 years, but 6 years too soon!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

thanks for visiting, Kylie
Yes, I get most stressed out when I'm with teenage, new drivers. I went through my older son and daughter and sometimes I feel overwhelmed. Unfortunately he gets the brunt of my anxiety which doesn't help him at all. He took driving school but he ended up driving with me several times before he even got to drive with them. Aargh!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sally did great on the road. That's some excellent gas milage!

I loved seeing all your pictures. You took some really good ones, too. Buddha is just too cute. hehe

Your cabin is adorable and so cozy. I can't wait to visit it in person. I didn't realize that you were so close to coyote creek, too. It looks swollen with water.

I'm glad you two had a nice visit up there. :)

Thanks again for the wonderful raspberries. They didn't even last 5 minutes with my vultures! :)

~Lisa

allhorsestuff said...

Nice trip..really loved those little one room churches out in the fields!
Great place you got there..my husband would be loving it!
Thanks for taking us with you Val!
Kacy

The Wades said...

Val, that cabin looks awesome! I was immediately thinking about how fun it must smell--I'm all about smells of old buildings. I'm sure that was a wonderful time.

No running water? That's roughing it! Does your mom live there all the time?

Fantastyk Voyager said...

My mom has a regular house with all the facilities. She gets her water from a well. She even has a washer and dryer. She lives there year round. She lives at the bottom of the mountain so she never really gets snowed in, not for more than a couple of days at a time, anyway.