Sunday, July 18, 2010

Despite the rain

The horses have been in from the big field for the last few days so that the grass can grow and I can watch Annie's ear for possible infection. Today, it rained really hard. Surprisingly, my little herd stayed out in the downpour along with Lisa's horses. Usually, my four run for cover when it rains. Were they being neighborly? This was taken during the rainstorm.Gosh, when I look at that photo, it's almost hard to tell which side of the fence each of them is on, isn't it?

Afterwards, Lisa's two mares wandered off and my big horses rolled and rolled and rolled. Yalla! doesn't roll yet. Now I have four brown horses. Then, Scout put on a bucking exhibition that would have made a rodeo horse blush. No pictures, I was too busy watching.

Despite the rain - song: Dead Against It, artist: David Bowie, album: Buddha of Suburbia

12 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow, that's some rain. Good picture of the neighbors keeping company.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's been about a half hour and the ground is almost all dried up. That's why flash floods can be so dangerous in the desert- water accumulates so quickly, and then poof- gone. If there's rain in the area, one needs to always be on the lookout for runoff.

Unknown said...

Yalla! Does not roll? Thats very peculiar. I know a TB gelding that did not roll until he was 10. 10 only because his owner finally got a chiropractor out and found in his younger days he had likely twisted and hurt himself which made rolling uncomfortable. He still lay down but never rolled. Now he rolls.

Jo Castillo said...

Great photo. You just gotta love horses. We are in Angel Fire and haven't had much rain yet. A good shower today down toward Eagle Nest but not much here.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sydney- okay, so now I am worried about Yalla! No, I see her lay down but I can't remember seeing her roll.

Unknown said...

They look like they are ready for drill team!

I guess the pasture will be growing like crazy now...

allhorsestuff said...

You are gettin' some rain there! Wowee!
We are slatted for some this week...the change will be nice..and energized horses to ride!
KK
PS
So sorry to see and read of Annie's ear!

Paint Girl said...

They were probably as happy to see the rain as you were! I hear you don't get much of the wet stuff, wish that was the case around here!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

This time of year, I do believe they enjoy standing in the rain. It probably feels nice and cool and disapates the bugs.

That is a little strange that Yalla doesn't roll. Does she lay down much?

Ed said...

Cool version of a horsewash..till they start playing in the mud..:-)

Achieve1dream said...

It is hard to tell which side of the fence they are on lol. I'm assuming Annie's ear is still doing okay since you didn't say it wasn't. I'm glad. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Interesting photo. You're right. It's hard to tell which side of the fence they're on.

Jenna and I were caught up in the barn when the storm began. Apache and Bella ran out when the hail hit the metal roof. The horses wouldn't have been dry in the barn anyway because the rain and hail were blowing in sideways. It came all the way inside, so Jenna and I had to sit in the tack room to wait out the storm.

Weird to see the word's 'Lisa's horses" or "Lisa's mares". I still only think of me as having one horse. haha!

~Lisa