Thursday, July 1, 2010

Worm, the pain and blade, part 2

Several weeks back I took a fecal sample of Yalla's to the veterinarian for an analysis on worm infestation. I haven't wormed her since last winter and I really didn't know which wormer to use.
I never really thought my horses had worms. I've never seen any evidence. I used to live in Illinois and the worm infestation there was terrible. After a worming you could see all the little critters in their manure. However, two doctors have told me that young horses are usually more infested than older horses, so I wanted to be sure. The count came back negative. BUT, she said there could still be an infestation and the cycle was at the wrong time for any to show up in the sample. She recommended having a second count to be sure. Yesterday, I took a second fecal sample of Yalla's in. I decided it was better to get a fecal count than to actually worm them like I'd been doing. I wonder about the other horses but I'm sure that if Yalla is most likely to have them and she doesn't, I can't imagine the other horses having any, right? Of course, the vets will probably recommend having the testing done on each one individually. lol. Anyway, that's a big relief to me. Now, when they scratch their butts, I'll know they're just scratching. ;)

On another note, last fall I gave Yalla her first shot but I forgot to give her the booster. Last month, I gave her the shot again, along with the strangles vaccine, but I haven't been able to get the booster for her. How many times do I need to go through this? How long can I go between booster shots to make it work?

Worm, the pain and blade - song; Voyeur of Utter destruction , artist: David Bowie, album: Outside

5 comments:

Dan and Betty said...

It's a pain, but we believe in fecal samples. We take the to the vet twice a year. So, far they's always been negative. We use diatomaceous earth added to their grain supplement and we think that helps.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Your vet will know about the shots - or look on-line - Equus magazine has some great articles on worming and vaccinations, and the vaccine manufacturer sites usually have info too. Good luck!

Reddunappy said...

Thats great they dont have a parasite load!

Ours always do, the grass and temperate, wet climate make it ideal for the worms. I need to take fecal samples to the vet, that is something I have never done before.
For a booster shot, it has to be given inside 17-21 days usually to be affective, but I would still ask the vet.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

OMG! I'm so glad you wrote this post. I keep remembering and promptly forgetting that my horses are overdue for a worming. This reminded me to put it on my calendar for this weekend and get 'er done.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I don't worm as often as some , though the young ones I do a regular schedule for the first years. I think it depends on the grazing arangements ,size of turnout and general health of the horse .I doubt I would do samples every year ,but we did a random check a few years ago and things were fine