Monday, July 26, 2010

it's so slashed and torn, part 4

It has been very rainy for the last several days. Temperatures have dropped into the high 50s, low 60s at night and 70s and 80s by day. My horses have been confined to the barn and their runs because the ground is too slippery in the arena

 and I'm not yet ready to turn them out in the big field, if ever again. Annie's ear has been looking nasty, all dirty and crusty again,
but the recent rains pulled the crud off and this is what it looked like tonight. Not much improved from last week, huh? Will it ever heal?

I'm really glad that I decided to put her on the antibiotics so she has a fighting chance at not getting a serious infection. These are zoom photos. I cannot get that close to it to treat it.

It's been a while since I showed you a full view of Yalla!'s summer coat. Here is what color she is at the moment. She still has her dorsal stripe and she's actually darker brown with golden tones in her coat. I believe in Arab colors she is a black bay. Although she has tan in her ears, her face and muzzle are almost black.
Here's a goofy looking head shot with Annie's rear in the background. Yalla! really likes to have photos taken when she has a mouthful of food, I've noticed. ;)


it's so slashed and torn - song: Under Pressure, artist: David Bowie and Freddie Mercury

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh that Yalla is a cutey! Annie's ear is looking much better, it will always be a split- just adds character!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Yalla is lovely , and Annies ear is looking improved to me

Paint Girl said...

I also think Annie's ear looks better. I hope it heals up real soon!
Yalla! is cute as ever! I swear that Yalla! and Chance are almost the exact same color! The only difference is that Chance has a lot of red in her mane!

Unknown said...

Ew, mud! I feel so bad for you in the mud. I really don't like mud. Then, again, your fire danger is pretty low right now.

Dan and Betty said...

Yalla's color is very similar to Sugar's -- a dark chocolate brown.

Dan

Melanie said...

Dang, you have been a posting fool over here...lol!!! I had to take a minute to catch up, but just so you know, Annie's ear does look better than it did in the first few posts....

And just look at Yalla! She is the same color as her daddy, isn't she?

Ed said...

Poor Annie, looks better though and Yalla looks maaaavelous..:-)

Tammy Vasa said...

Finally, all shed out! Yalla is stunning!

Achieve1dream said...

I'll trade you for the rain and temps. We've had a heat index of at least 110F for a couple of weeks now. It's miserable.

Poor Annie! That before shot looked nasty. I never knew ears took that long to heal. Pictures don't show how bad it was I don't think. Poor girl.

Yalla is sooo gorgeous! How tall is she now?