Friday, July 16, 2010

She'll scratch

Last year, my friend gave me a foal-sized fly mask for Yalla! Unfortunately, it was way too big to use with her little Arabian head even though she was a foal. I tried it once and it fell right off. Here she is in her yearling-sized halter. I actually pulled in the throat latch two inches on the other side. I have a way of pulling some of the throat strap in through the ring and then running the excess strap through the formed loop since the buckle is on the last hole. As you can see, it swims on her. This year, I decided to try the foal-sized fly mask. At first, I was concerned about putting it on her so I put one on Scout while she watched. Then she went over and smelled him, touching his mask with her nose. Just look at his expression! Silly boy, Scout! Right after that she came up to me as if to say, I'm okay with it, if you want to put it on me, go right ahead. So I did. It's actually too small but it still works. I can just barely velcro it on but she seems okay wearing italthough it seems to cause her to scratch
She'll Scratch - song: Song for Bob Dylan, artist: David Bowie, album: Hunky Dory

7 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I tried a fly mask on Bombay once and he ripped it off by doing just what Yalla is doing. He got a hoof caught in the seam and pulled the Velcro right off, then he ripped the mask to shreds with his teeth so he'd never have to wear it again. With the exception of Lostine, my horses are hopeless when it comes to trying to make them more comfortable during fly season.

jane augenstein said...

Gilly and Pokey both love their fly masks and will come and put their heads right in. They know what they are for or at least that the flies won't bother their faces if they have their "faces" on! Pokey loses his sometimes as Gilly will pull it off him then run off with it. Then I have to go out in the field hunting for it! Bad Gilly!!! LOL

Unknown said...

What a smart girl! And impressive yoga move too!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I'm so used to *my* horses, who have all worn fly masks that I sort of forgot that I had horses who had never worn them before. Spooks, Megan's black horse was very cautious his first few steps with his mask on, but has come to love it. I put one on Gunner and he was POed. He bucked, he kicked up, he struck. What a temper on that baby-LOL. I have not been able to get one on either the sorrel horse or the bay horse. They are completely freaked out by the sound of the velcro and by me trying to slip them on their heads. Silly boys!

Paint Girl said...

I haven't put a fly mask on Chance yet. But we don't have many flies in the summer since I use fly predators. I decided that I wasn't going to buy blankets or fly sheets for Chance until she grows up. The blanket I bought last winter won't fit her next winter, and I can't afford to keep buying blankets!
Yalla! is so pretty, and I love her cute little face!

Melanie said...

Yalla! is getting so big...I cannot believe it. Is she one yet?

And I just saw Annie's ear. Poor girl. At least you found some scarlett oil. That stuff is amazing. : )

Achieve1dream said...

Awwwww that last picture is sooooooo cute! I also love Scout's expression. Typical Appy.