Saturday, May 28, 2011

U2 road trip, part 2

We decided to take the light rail train to Invesco Field because, with 70,000 attendees, parking was going to be far away and expensive ($30), even using my handicap pass. Ray suggested it and amazingly, the hotel we were staying at was just across the street from one of the light rail stops.

We pulled the wheelchair out of the car, dressed warm against the cold, windy weather, packed a few blankets, and headed out. Ray was a wonderful, chivalrous gentleman and pushed me all the way.
Here's the ticket machine for the light rail. It cost us $4.50 each, round trip.

There was even an elevator available to get to the train platform.
We hoped to beat the crowds but it was really busy on our train. The attendant at the station after the concert told us he'd heard at least 10 different languages spoken by concert going passengers.

There were great accomodations for handicapped passengers and I saw several other handicapped people using the light rail.

It seemed like everyone got off at Lincoln Station, the stop for Invesco Field, the Broncos Stadium. Then we had a mile "Sports" walk from the train stop to the stadium. I was glad I was being pushed in the wheelchair.
You can see the stadium in the distance. We actually had to cross several train tracks

go under this overpass

and cross the Platte River. If you didn't know where to go, you could just follow the crowds.

And there it is at last, Invesco Field- the Mile High Stadium!

This is why I love Denver. Just look at the horse statues!

We got to the stadium pretty early. So did a lot of other folks! If you look to the very top left of the signboards you can see section 513. That is where I bought the tickets for originally. The big contraption on the field is the "Claw" which is part of the 360 Tour.
Here's where we got to sit. You can see how bundled up I am; it was cold!

And here's my boot. I was actually able to sit with my leg raised and through the rail a bit without bothering anyone. And, when the row in front stood up, we could see fine because they were several feet below us.
Here's Lynne, my SIL and Ray, her friend.

The Fray opened for U2. This photo gives you more of a feel for the set up of the stage. The VIPs walked in to the inner circle down below us which is why it seems so empty. There is a ramp that circles the stage and two bridges that moved all around so the band members could walk in a full circle. The large video screens went all the way around and gave everyone great close ups of the bands. I believe there were 17,000 video screens all hooked together.
I thought this couple was cute. She's sitting on his lap. But gosh, her feet must have been cold!
Here's some more close ups of The Fray.

Here they are leaving the stage after their performance. I was really impressed with the great sound. I believe they are a local band from up around Boulder.
Then it was time for them to set up the stage for U2. We were treated to a revolving display of statistics for a while.
Check out all the babies born to crew! Remember this tour was postponed for a year during the middle because Bono hurt his back and had to have surgery. It's been going on two years, at least. This night was the first anniversary of his back surgery in Germany where the doctors removed bits of bone from his spine. Bono said he now had Made in Germany stamped on his butt. lol.
Here is a short video to show how fast some of the numbers were changing. The sound is terrible through my camera though.
Some other statistics were:
Number of US presidents without siblings: zero
$ spent on illegal drugs: billion something
# of songs U2 have performed on tour: 51
Tweets and texts today: millions and counting
Occupancy at Invesco Field tonight: continuously tallying 67,xxx. I don't know the final count.
Video panels in the 360 tour: 17 thousand something
We couldn't figure out the city and numbers. Any ideas? We thought latitude or longitude but it changes.

Next up- U2 takes the stage!


Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm amazed at how you got around and were willing to be in big crowds with your injury. I remember the first time I went out in public with my broken arm, three different people walked right into me and the pain was excruciating. It was also hard keeping people away from my mother's leg when I pushed her around in her wheelchair.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

NM- it wasn't so bad. Most people were actually pretty careful around me. Also, I had the foot paddle thing raised so that it sort of protected my foot. Only one person actually bumped the foot rest and that was because they were walking out through the train crowds (crossing in front of us) to get to the parking lots and it was very dark.

Unfortunately, we spent an hour waiting in line on the walk back to the light rail station because a traffic cop got hit by a police car transporting a prisoner. They had to have an ambulance come in and rush the injured policeman off to the hospital. Once the line began moving again it went fast. Also, there were several street musicians entertaining the crowds under the bridge. It was all very exciting.

Rising Rainbow said...

I remember taking Lindsay to a concert when she was wheel chair bound. It was quite an informative experience.

Looks like you got around pretty well at your venue. That's cool.