Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Two years ago my friend and neighbor Lisa, of Laughing Orca Ranch, and I slept for a week in my barn anxiously awaiting the birth of Annie's foal. (Thanks Lisa, for being there for me!) We had to feign sleep in order for her to feel safe enough to go into labor. But finally she did, in the wee hours of the morning, and we stayed up to watch the whole delivery. There were no lights in the barn because mice had chewed the wires and my electricity wasn't working at the time so we watched the entire event by flashlight and recorded it on camera. See here for Lisa's post.

Fortunately, Annie chose to lie right in front of us for the main event instead of going off by herself into the dark corral. I felt honored that she trusted us so much that she wanted to be near us at this important time. It was painful to watch her grunting and struggling, preparing to deliver her load. Why do they say that God created labor pains to punish women for Eve eating the apple? All mammals have labor pains during delivery!

When we realized that the sac didn't break at the front end and the foal was struggling to breath, I went over to help and got to be the first to hold the precious little foal. Please go back and revisit some of those early posts. There are lots of videos and photos on both my blog and Lisa's. It's hard to believe my Yalla! is the same little foal. She like a chameleon of a horse, always changing colors.


 Happy Birthday Yalla!

8 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Happy Birthday! What a beautiful foal. It is so magical getting to see a horse being born:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Going back to read our old posts and seeing all of those amazing photos, caused me to tear up a little. Yalla! was such a beautiful, sweet foal and Annie was a wonderful, doting Mama, too. Has it really been 2 years already? That was one of those once-in-lifetime incredibly amazing experiences, wasn't it?
I'm so glad we could experience that together, Val.

Happy Birthday Yalla!

~Lisa

Dan and Betty said...

I remember everyone of those posts. They grow so fast.

Happy Birthday little one.

Dan

Reddunappy said...

I cant believe its been two years already!!! Wow, she sure is a pretty girl. She seems to have stayed that dark chestnut color.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Time flies. Happy Birthday cutie!

Paint Girl said...

I love that first picture of Yalla!!
Just too cute!
Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!! Time goes by so fast, doesn't it? Before you know it we will be riding our babies!!

Ed said...

Hard to believe two years has passed so quickly..Happy B-Day Yalla!!!

Achieve1dream said...

Baby pictures! So cute! I love Yalla. Happy birthday pretty girl.