Tuesday, June 7, 2011

'Til the Sun Drips Blood

The wildfires in Arizona are terrible monsters, eating away at the natural world around us, destroying beautiful trees and homes. Click on the link and watch the news video. It's hard to watch a grown man cry.

It is even affecting our air, two hundred miles away. The first two photos were taken last evening. There was a haze in the air and the rancid smell of smoke. I wanted to look around to see if I could see flames, it was that strong. I heard that in Denver they couldn't see their bordering Rocky Mountains and even as far away as Iowa, they could see the haze in the air.


These photos were of sunrise this morning. I guess the one good thing about the smoky air is that you get fantastic sunrises and sunsets.


We almost had rain yesterday. I could smell it and I think I saw about ten drops. C'mon people, let's all pray for rain in the southwest. Put those fires out. Do a rain dance if you can.


'Til the Sun Drips Blood - song: Candidate, artist: David Bowie, album: Diamond Dogs

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Isn't it so odd to hear about so much flooding and rain in one part of the country, and then other parts couldn't be dryer (including where I live). I hope rain comes soon to you down there. The fires are terrible.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Our skies are hazy and smoke-filled as well. The high winds yesterday didn't help. The Colorado River is within inches of flooding the Interstate just a mile from our house (we are safe, even if it does) and yet we are well below normal precipitation. It's crazy out there this year.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

OOOh! I love your new header. I missed the sunrise. Had a rough night sleeping...hard to breathe and kept waking up coughing. I should have closed my bedroom window, but it gets so hot and stuffy to sleep. What a mess. And the fires are still 0% contained. Oy!

~Lisa

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wishing you rain and lots of it soon. Those fires are just too scary and such a shame destroying all that beautiful land not to mention the homes.

Achieve1dream said...

Awesome sunset pictures, but sad about the fires. I'll pray for rain. We need it here too, but at least we don't have to deal with fires.