Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's so Slashed and Torn, part 5

I was taking some photos of the horses the other evening and I was excited to notice that Annie's ripped ear doesn't look too bad.  It's the left one, FYI.




It's still fully split down about an inch and a half but the ear stays together pretty well, don't you think? If you recall, I had the horses out in the big field last summer and Annie ripped her ear open, probably on a barbed wire fence. Here's what it looked like then. If you want to read more about it, go here, here, here and here.


I didn't call the vet right away because when I found out about it, it was already too late to stitch up.
However, I did have the vet come out when it looked like it might have gotten infected to give her antibiotics and clean it up. He said the infection was minimal and it would have been hard to stitch up even right away. As it turned out, all the work he did on her ear was for naught. A few days after he cleaned and treated it, her ear was all dirty and crusty again. In the end, it healed by itself because I couldn't get close enough to treat it without giving her a sedative.

it's so slashed and torn - song: Under Pressure, artist: David Bowie and Freddie Mercury

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

She and Gabbrielle could be twins with the one rounded ear and the one pointed ear. I call it a beauty mark.

Jessie said...

Wow, that did heal up really well. A friend of mine has a weanling show filly that just did that to hers--they were beside themselves with worry about whether she'd be able to show, but the vet was able to stitch and GLUE it together LOL. I need to ask her but I think it's been doing ok. Seeing how well yours healed up gives me hope :)

Achieve1dream said...

Chrome has cut his nostril the other day after his cut throat finally healed. Punk. I wish horses weren't so accident prone lol. :) I'm glad her ear healed up and looks good.