Monday, January 2, 2012

The ice forgets to melt away

I always find it interesting how snow melts into sculptured art. My roof snow is turning into marshmallow fluff.

How about some long icy fingers?

Check out the snow creature sitting on the roof of my barn!
 Because of the barn's metal roofing, the snow sometimes comes off in sheets.

But snowmelt isn't always so nice. Taking hot water and beet pulp mash to the horses can be treacherous for me with my weak ankle when I try to walk on the old paths in the early morning. Walking on the frozen, unyielding old footprints forces my ankle to sometimes, unexpectedly, painfully, bend. The snow is still a foot deep in many places and I feel like every step is a challenge, kind of like climbing Mount Everest. I tell myself, one footstep at a time and I WILL get there.



The ice forgets to melt away - song: Sell Me a Coat, artist: David Bowie, album: David Bowie

8 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Yikes! Do you have some sort of brace to support your ankle? Or sturdy high shoes like hiking boots?

Grey Horse Matters said...

The snow and ice do make interesting patterns but I'll bet you could do without the sculptures! Maybe one of the boys could carve a little path out for you so your ankle doesn't bend? One of the nicest things we have from years ago (it still works) is a snow blower something like that might help to make a path. Just some thoughts.

Jen said...

That is too funny the way the snow slides off in strips from the metal roof. Every once in awhile I miss a good snow, but then sanity returns. *grin*
I'm with Leah on the ankle: it might be a good idea to find some support for it lest you do more damage (and try some strengthening exercises when you're safely inside ;o)

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. I too like the strips from the metal roof. Be careful and be safe in all that snow.

I wish we could send some of our dryness over your way.

Dan

Sherry Sikstrom said...

it is pretty , but do be careful!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great pics.

Be careful with your ankle walking on this rock hard, crumbly, icy snow.
That is the main reason I created my feeding/watering station down near our house. I've not even been up to our barn for almost 2 weeks because my knees gets too easily tweaked from trying to move through the deep snow.

~Lisa

Ed said...

Cool shots, either dirt or snow the horses do love a good roll..:-)

Achieve1dream said...

Yuck! I hope it melts soon. Can you wear an ankle brace when you walk to the barn so it doesn't twist? Please be careful. The pictures are awesome. I love the snow monster on your barn. :D