Friday, January 6, 2012

Nadia has turned into a beaver these past few weeks. Or an interior decorator. Just look at the new window she made in the wood of her stall.


I got out the "official" stuff to coat the wood but, believe me, it just doesn't work!
A long time ago, we used creosote on wood to keep the horses from chewing on it. But, that's been outlawed as bad for the ecology. They used to treat railroad ties with creosote and look how long they last! Anyway, after trying several times to use this No Crib horse product with no luck, I reverted to my old standby- used motor oil. Shhhh, don't tell, I don't want the ecology geeks after me but I have found that painting wood with used motor oil is miraculous for keeping the critters from eating the wood. Really, it's a way to recycle that old motor oil, right??

4 comments:

mrscravitz said...

Use APPLE BITTER! Great Stuff. You can spray it on plants to if you have critters eating your plants. I even use it on my horses manes and tails if someone starts to nibble. You will have to keep reapplying it thought every few days....but it works great and it is not a chemical!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Its what we use too, better than letting it seep into the ground , it is recycling as far as I can see

Anonymous said...

This one is a spectacular post! Giving two different perspective & view of the same subject should be much appreciated!

Achieve1dream said...

Hehe at least you found something that works!! :)