Sunday, July 13, 2008

Holy, Holy

New Mexico is well known for it's religious people and churches. One of the most famous churches is the Sanctuario de Chimayo. Here is an excerpt from Chimayo.org;
Somewhere around 1810, a Chimayó friar was performing penances when he saw a light bursting from a hillside. Digging, he found a crucifix, quickly dubbed the miraculous crucifix of Our Lord of Esquipulas. A local priest brought the crucifix to Santa Cruz, but three times it disappeared and was later found back in its hole. By the third time, everyone understood that El Senor de Esquipulas wanted to remain in Chimayó, and so a small chapel was built on the site. Then the miraculous healings began. These grew so numerous that the chapel had to be replaced by the larger, current Chimayó Shrine -- an adobe mission -- in 1816. Believed to be built on sacred earth with miraculous healing powers, the legendary shrine El Santuario de Chimayó, is probably the most visited church in New Mexico. The crucifix which began the original shrine still resides on the chapel alter, but for some reason its curative powers have been overshadowed by El Posito, the "sacred sand pit" from which it sprang. Each year during Holy Week thousands of people make a pilgrimage to Chimayó to visit the Santuario and take away a bit of the sacred dirt. Pilgrims walk a few yards or a hundred miles. Many claim to have been cured there of diseases, infirmities and unhappiness. The walls of the sacristy are hung with discarded crutches and before-and-after photographs as evidence of the healing.

I had to take my two sons to camp this morning up near Chimayo so on my return trip I decided to stop by the Sanctuary. There was an outdoor mass in progress so I joined in. Afterwards, I proceeded into the Sanctuary and after a few prayers, I went to the holy sand pit and retrieved a handful of the blessed sand. I wrapped it up in my handkerchief. I am going to sprinkle some in each of the horses stalls, especially Annie's, so the Lord can watch over them. The rest I put in a tin with my Lady of Fatima rosary beads. It certainly can't hurt, right?

Here are some pictures I took today. If you click on them you can see them larger.

The entrance to the Sanctuario de Chimayo


















A close up of one of the arch-crosses. I think they're beautiful.
























The Sanctuary


























An outdoor shrine with lots and lots of rosaries and other things


















Another outdoor shrine. I like this one because of the horse. ;)


















notice all the crosses in the fence


















Some neat rock formations


















more pretty rock formations


















My son's camp entrance


















Tents at my sons camp

3 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Thanks for sharing, that was interesting! I hope the blessed sand has some effect.
What kind of camp were your boys attending? Any horseback riding? ;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wonderful photos. Chimayo and the church are beautiful and unique places to visit.

Maybe you might consider sprinkling some of the miracle dirt over Annie and even rubbing some on her belly. As you might remember, that's what I did, and I became pregnant with my twins after trying for so long to have a baby.
It can't hurt, right? ;)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Thanks for visiting Pony Girl. I often read your blog.
Both my boys are counselors at Camp Frank Rand, a Boy Scout Camp, for the summer. Ross teaches rock climbing and Trevor teaches archery. Yes, there are horses there but, 1. My boys are not into horses. 2. I understand that the horses are not in great health and not well trained for trail. This is the first summer they've had horses at all so I don't know if the program will continue or not.

Twinville, yes, that must have been very exciting to know that you were blessed by the holy spirit.