Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'll make you a deal

I just love bargains! Don't you?

Some time ago, I signed up with Sonic Drive-In (a hamburger place) to be texted on their special specials. It amazes me, this world we live in and the miracle of technology that we use on a daily basis.

Well, this morning, my cell phone went off as I was driving to work. It was a call from Sonic. I got a text telling me that the Breakfast CroiSONIC sandwich was just 50 cents between 8 and 9 AM. As I was on time for work, maybe even early, I thought it would be a great idea. Since I was saving so much, I went ahead and bought a caramel Java Chiller coffee too. I'm sure that is exactly why they run these kinds of specials because they know people will spend more money once they're there. It's getting them there that counts.

Anyway, I kind of expected a little egg biscuit like their dollar menu chicken sandwich. No! This was the full sized sandwich: egg, bacon, and cheese, all on a croissant bun. And the Java Chiller! I took a sip and it was awesome, all ice-creamy and caramel coffee flavored! Not a bad breakfast for 3.25! Mmmm, I decided to save the frozen coffee for the office as I snacked on the sandwich.

When I got to work, I grabbed my purse from the car and carried in my Sonic bag with my half eaten sandwich, a bottle of water, and the Java Chiller. As I rounded the corner towards my desk, the bottom fell out of the styrofoam cup and it all dumped right onto the carpet, a frothy, creamy, white coffee mess! Oh no!! I don't know if I was more upset that I wasn't going to get to drink my heavenly coffee delight or that I had an incredible mess to clean up. I immediately knelt down to try to stop the damage and that was a mistake! My knee just doesn't bend that way yet. Ouch!! So I stood up and hustled to the Ladies' room and grabbed a fistfull of paper towels. I realized that that wasn't going to pick it all up so I went hunting in the little kitchen area for a towel that I could sop up and wring out. I found a brand new sponge and some carpet cleaner and I started cleaning up. I did manage to clean all of it up, hopefully, because it's going to smell sour if I didn't, with all that ice-creamy coffee on the carpet.

What really bugs me is the styrofoam containers they use. The landfills are filling up with them. I often buy fountain drinks in the styro cups and it's great for keeping cold drinks cold. I'm not so sure about hot drinks though. I've read that the styrenes leach into hot drinks. But anyway, when the cups break, and they do, it is certainly a mess! I've punched holes in cups just putting them in or out of the car cup holder. And then it's like the hole in the dike. Sugary liquid pours out all over everything, as I try to plug the hole up with a finger pressed against it, until I can stop the car and dump out the liquidy contents.

Don't you just love a bargain, but hate those styrofoam cups?


I'll make you a deal - song: The Candidate, artist: David Bowie, album: Diamond Dogs outtake

8 comments:

lytha said...

tell them the story and maybe you'll get another one!

styrofoam, i haven't seen a stryofoam cup in years. they sure did keep drinks nice and cold, i remember that.

~lytha

Unknown said...

You need to get shamwow for spills. Seriously, dumped a whole can of pepsi on the off white carpet in the living room. I had the split second of ohcrapIamsooooodead before running off and getting a shamwow. Picked it right up and no one knows but the dog and I.

jane augenstein said...

Oh, the sandwich and drink sound so yummy!! I would be sooooo upset losing the drink, then having to clean up the mess, boo hoo.
I'm with Lytha, tell they your story and maybe they will give you another drink, I want one and we don't have a Sonic around here! :-(

Dan and Betty said...

Sorry for your mess, but I had to laugh.

Great story.

Dan

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I always transfer my beverages into a "to go mug" so it stays hot/cold. amd there is less chance of spilling . It sucks that it happened

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good deal on the sandwich. Too bad about your coffee though. I don't much care for those cups either, what a mess you had to deal with. Next time just bring a small thermos and transfer from the cup.

The Wades said...

Just yesterday our son poked a hole in his slushy drink. Annoying yes, but I do love their cups. I can't help myself. And that ice. . .

Tammy Vasa said...

I would call them. Tell them about how much you appreciated the awesome deal, the great sandwich BUT... big problem. I bet you will get more than one free meal out of it!

Sorry about the knee still hurting...