Thursday, April 1, 2010

Not expecting morning sun

Yesterday was the last day of March.
It sure went out like a lamb after coming in like a lion! We've been having 70-80 degree temperatures the last couple of days.

I was amazed at yesterday morning's moonset. Isn't it gorgeous?


Recently, I wrote about my new barn residents.

Well, yesterday was a sad day. I found one of the crows dead in the barn. I don't know how he died but I will certainly miss him as I'm sure my horses will too.
He was laying right under his roost. Did he take a deadly fall perhaps? The horses were out of the barn all day and no one will tell me what happened.I didn't know what else to do with him so I laid him to rest out by a little yucca plant. All in the circle of life, I'm sure he will be gone by morning.

Not expecting Morning Sun - song: Get Real, artist: David Bowie, album: Outside extra

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great pictures. Glad the weather is changing for you. Poor little bird.

Unknown said...

Aww poor crow. If he isn't gone you should call your local wildlife control because chances are he may have something, like west nile. I know we had a HUGE population of crows die when we had the big outbreak 6 or 7 years ago.
The moon is beautiful

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Poor Bird. Glad though that it is finallyu nicer out

Dan and Betty said...

Nice moon pictures. It was certainly beautiful on our side of the mountain.

I found a dead roadrunner in our front a week or so ago. It's sad, but like you say, it's a part of life.

Dan

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I know a few years ago people were being instructed to take dead birds in to be tested for West Nile Virus. Get your horses vaccinated if you haven't already, just in case.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You probably know this already, but Crows and Ravens are closely related and the names are often interchangeable, but I think you have a handsome Raven there. They typically stay together in pairs and don't fly in flocks. I saw a huge flock of crows fly over our yards yesterday. They are smaller than ravens. Also a raven has a larger beak, like your guy.
That's sad that he just died like that. I wonder what happened. Poor thing.

Your photos are gorgeous, though. The raven and the moon. Good job.

~Lisa

becky said...

Nice job on the moon shots! Wow, 70-80 degree weather~ right after all that snow you had! We had a false spring in southern Oregon... was nice, now snow, rain & a blanket of gray! Hope your knee is doing better!

Rising Rainbow said...

Here if we find dead birds like that where there appears to be no reason for the death, we are supposed to call the state so they can test for West Nile Virus. Don't know if they have those concerns where you live or not.